A wedding is exciting enough on its own but jetting off to another country adds a new layer of excitement, and you need a stellar destination wedding stationery suite to help pull that off.
We hope our suggestions will give you some great ideas. Use these to your advantage and create an inspirational and informative printed invite to enthuse your lucky guests.
Here are our top ideas to ensure you cover all bases and produce a fantastic invite for your chosen destination.
Content is key – Choosing to get married abroad is an exciting prospect not just for the bride and groom but also for your chosen guests. However, it is also a much bigger ask to expect them to travel far and wide, so it is important to provide your guests with all the key information on your wedding invites. Remember to include the following:
- Where? – Where are you getting married? Tell your guests a little about the destination itself and use your invite as an opportunity to tell them why it is special to you.
- How? – How will they get there? It is likely your guests will need to organize flights, ferries or trains to get to your destination. Do some initial research to provide them with all the information they need
to make their travel plans as easy as possible.
- Stay? Look up accommodation and give them a range of potential options. This should cover all price ranges and personalities allowing them to pick the place that suits them best.
- Other? Of course you still need to include the standard information on your invitations such as the date and time of the big day, but you may also like to include a little extra information such as recommended local restaurants, expected weather conditions and dress code for the day.
The key to your destination wedding invite is ensuring your guests have all the information they need to make the process nice and simple.
Travel inspired design – Nothing builds excitement for a wedding like receiving your personal invitation.
Choosing to get married abroad gives you the perfect excuse to have a little fun and be creative with your design. Here are our top ideas for a travel themed invitation.
- Map inspired invitations – Location, location, location. What better way to excite your guests than making your design out of a map of your destination? There are some great map design ideas out there and you can use illustrations or hand drawn features to show your journey.
Passport inspired invitations – This is a very popular trend for those getting married abroad as a passport design works perfectly as a holding device for that ever-important information. It also allows you to have lots of fun with bespoke stamps and quirky features to put in to your ‘passport invite’.
- Postcard inspired invitations – Another great idea is to create an invite that looks like a postcard from your destination. This is an opportunity to use beautiful imagery from your location which is bound to get your guests excited.
Another idea for your invitations is to focus on the type of destination you have chosen.
You can bring in aspects of the country, weather and theme to get your guests buzzing about the big day.
Here are a few ideas for the most popular destination themed wedding invites.
- Beach wedding invite – Think sun, think sand, think sea. There are so many aspects of a beach wedding that lend themselves perfectly to inspiring and exciting your invitation.
- Snowy wedding invite – You can liven up your wintery wedding invite by showcasing a ski resort in the mountains or a picturesque scene of snowflakes and glistening snow.
- City wedding invite – If you have chosen a well-known city such as Rome, Paris, New York or Venice as your destination, why not link to it on your invite by bringing in famous landmarks in a creative way.
- Tropical wedding invite – Well this one is easy, you have a scenic view of palm trees and coconuts to whisk your guests away in to a tropical paradise!
We live in a world of bite-sized information, and with good reason!
Hectic schedules, demanding careers and social lives leave little time for anything else. So, if you’re looking for the inside scoop on etiquette for your upcoming destination wedding without thumbing through a novel’s worth of information, here are some fast and easy etiquette tips that we swear by.
Send invites early: Send save-the-dates 8-12 months out to give guests ample time to save and plan. If you don’t have that long, three to four months is okay. Invitations go out 6-8 weeks in advance.
Include guests that can’t attend: It’s easy to make everyone feel included! If you have close friends and family that can’t attend, consider a reception once you return home. There are hi-tech options for the actual ceremony too, like video cams so guests can watch the wedding live. Or, go the social route and create a #hashtag for your wedding so family and friends can follow along.
Be kind to the kiddos: Ask about camps, water parks, day and night activities for all ages and if babysitting is offered on the property. Plan fun activities for the kids during your rehearsal dinner, like scavenger hunts or leave out a basket of board games to win extra brownie points.
Make time for your spouse: It’s important to remember why you’re at this amazing resort celebrating — because you’re starting a life as a couple! Take a sunrise walk on the beach, get a spa treatment, and enjoy a leisurely breakfast in bed. Trust us, your guests will understand.
Thank your parents generously: They’ve been there for you through thick and thin, so don’t gift them with anything cheesy or impersonal. Take your time to find something timeless that suits their personality and taste. And of course, don’t forget the handwritten note.
Don’t combat the opposition: And better yet, don’t think about it as combat. You’re trying to plan the best wedding possible for you and your guests, so why waste your energy on the naysayers? If you are thoughtful and communicate well with your guests, there’s no reason you should have to explain or justify your choices.
Don’t mix guests and non-guests at pre-wedding parties: If they didn’t make the cut for the actual wedding, they shouldn’t be invited to pre-wedding events with guests who did. It’s just a recipe for awkward conversations and introductions, even if you have the best of intentions.
Find out if your resort is handicap accessible: If it’s important for your grandparents to make the wedding, then they shouldn’t also risk life and limb at your resort. Make sure they have a comfortable seat always and that your resort has accessible walkways and attendants to lend a hand.
Budget: Know what yours is and be reasonable about what you can accomplish with that number. It’s that
plain and simple.
Add an opt-out clause: It’s nice to let your guests know that their presence is a gift, not a requirement. We like the idea of an opt-out clause on the save-the-dates. Keep it upbeat and maybe mention a home reception or party if you’re having one so they can still celebrate with you.
Be sensible with gifts: Try a honeymoon fund instead of asking your guests to lug bulky, expensive gifts. Or, opt out of gifts altogether if it feels right and try a charity fund instead.
Create enthusiasm for your wedding: Your guests might not yet have been to a destination wedding before yours. Get them amped up with a wedding website that includes excursions, details about your resorts and any group activities you have planned. A little weather forecast never hurts either.
Get everyone together on night one: Some of your guests might not have met each other before. Let everyone mingle and break the ice with a laid-back party or event pre-ceremony. There might be some surprise friendships in the works!
Give the gift of an all-inclusive: Your guests will love you if they don’t have to tote around their wallet the entire time. It also tends to be a much more affordable (and fun!) option for everyone.
It’s a lot. We know it’s a lot. And we’re here to help.
Fran is incredibly awesome with design, color, papers and more. Get in touch with us here and let’s chat!
The team also put together some fabulous collections of wedding images here. You’re going to love this!
Your day is going to be truly the wedding you’ve always dreamed of, and we know it’s going to be nothing short of your Best Day Ever!